Wednesday, June 16, 2010

To the Roo and back


This past weekend was spent on a farm in Manchester, TN, camping, listening to music and trying to survive the 95+ degree heat. Ah, the greatness that is Bonnaroo.

I ended up going with Marissa, who I studied abroad with in Berlin (and, notably, met only about a month ago), her boyfriend, Simon, and his two roommates, Shane and Jimmy. I drove up to Gainesville on Wednesday afternoon, had dinner with some of my sorority sisters, then drove through the night with my new friends to experience the glorious musical festival. By some luck of fate, we managed to be in the first, prime campsite. We're still not sure how that happened. I could go on and on about every band that I saw, but for now, I'll just say that the highlights were The Flaming Lips' mind-bending show (and it was truly a show, not just a set), Jay-Z and his fantastic audience appreciation and just how much Kings of Leon's Caleb Followill's raspy voice oozes sex when heard live. The heat was unbearable during the day though, as the usual daily thunderstorms were nowhere to be seen this year. Our neighbors were hilarious - all 29 and friends from middle school, one is a father of two, one is a broker and the other was an artist who still lived in his mother's basement and was on too many substances to make sense in most conversations (when asked if he was going to see KOL, his response was "Maybe, maybe not. You just never really know). Seeing all the bands I did, I'm so happy everything worked out and I can't wait for next year.

All packed and ready to go.

Our arrival in Manchester, despite it being 6 a.m.

The great arch of Centeroo.

The group, pre-Flaming Lips madness.


Overall, the weekend was a success, and I feel cleansed coming from it (ironically). Being a dirty hippie child suits me, despite my love of high heels and air conditioning.

Sunday night, we drove through the night yet again. I then took the best shower of my life and crashed for 8 hours in Kelli's apartment. After a much-needed mani/pedi (just to get all the dirt out from under my nails), I had dinner with the Gbig and went out with Melissa, Anna, L-Patz and Ali for a night at Swamp and shenanigans. I missed them soso much. The next day, I took my time getting around, then headed home after lunch.

As much as I wanted to go to a big city for college, like BU and NYU, I'm overall happy with the experience I'm having in a college town. Talking to my grandpa in California yesterday on the drive home, he remarked how happy I sounded and how these experiences are exactly what I need to be doing at my age. While UF sometimes bores me, the game days and the Greek life have really provided me with memories I don't think I would have anywhere else. I truly have fallen in love with my sisters, seeing that I've known them for only 2 years, but they know just about everything about me, no judgements, and I can truly count on them for anything. Gainesville has become home away from home, which I can finally admit after 2 years. While Miami will always hold the No. 1 spot in my heart, after spending half my college years in the Swamp, I'm really looking forward to the memories that are to come these next 2 years.

2 comments:

  1. What a warm and happy entry. We're glad you picked UF, too, and I'm so excited I get to be here for your next two years of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi there lovely it's me leah! :) I hope we get to spend some more time together next year- I'm missing some Naughty in my life.

    ReplyDelete