Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Simplicity and lists

As I pack for Bonnaroo (yayyyyyyyy!!!), I realized that the places I'm going this summer are carrying the theme of minimalism.

In Berlin, people seemed to take things day-by-day, and, from what I saw, shopped and lived accordingly. They weren't worried about big, lavish homes. They shopped for dinner that night, not loading up for groceries for the week. They didn't have complicated and extremely trendy wardrobes. At Bonnaroo, people camp and, what I learned last year, really don't need too much to be happy. Lots of water, a few clean t-shirts and shorts, PB&J supplies and a little tent to call home were all you needed to camp. Plus, I noticed I was happiest when I had my water bottle in my hand and a camera in my pocket, not when I was lugging around a huge backpack with extra stuff to weigh it down. There are some tentative trips planned, like to the Keys and to Daytona Beach to see the Big, and all I need for happiness is a bathing suit and a beer.

I'm liking this summer more and more because of this mentality that's taking hold of me, I think. If I don't need it, I'm not trying to convince myself to get it. If I don't use it, I get rid of it. If I don't like it, I give it away. If it makes me happy, I'm doing it or holding on to it. While I'm the first to admit that I like luxurious things and I'm a clothes junkie, what I'm keeping around are things I genuinely enjoy and use regularly. And they have a place.

I've been making lists more and more to get things done. "To Do" lists have always been big with me, but the more specific I make them, the simpler they are to accomplish. All I have left on my "Tuesday" list are to clean off my desk and to pack. The desk thing will take 20 minutes, max. I plan on wiping that out as soon as I finish typing this (I was on my way to do it, I just got distracted and grabbed my computer instead.) And packing should be simple - I made a list for everything I need. If it's not on the list, I'm not taking it. Plain and simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment