Sunday, May 23, 2010

Learning the streets


Since my last blog post, I feel as if I'm seeing Berlin's true colors, all that it is. A big part of this may be that the weather's cleared up and I can wear my flip-flops now. Between my last post and now, I feel like we've been getting off the beaten path to see the interesting parts of the city.

Thursday, some of us journeyed to eat the much-talked-about Pink Flamingo pizzeria. I then tagged along with Marissa and Matt to see the Wall again. When I got home, I had gotten an e-mail back from a potential subject - Michael, a musician and DJ from Ireland. I was so happy and relieved that he seemed to have a general interest in what I was doing. Later that night, we took advantage of some of the public museums being free for the evening. No one was very impressed, but at least I can say I've been there. More importantly, at least I didn't have to pay to be bored.

On Friday, some of us decided to keep up the cultural thing and headed over to the Frida Kahlo exhibit. The work was really intriguing, and they had everything written in Englis
h as well as German, which made it a whole lot more interesting and easier to understand.
After that, Jesse and I decided to just explore around Kreuzberg, the district the museum was in. We ended up walking around for a couple of hours, discovering bunnies on trails and playgrounds, until we decided to pull out a map. Turns out, we had pretty much walked the entire neighborhood from north to south.
That night, I met up with Michael at the bar he was DJing at, then magically found everyone on the way back. Karaoke followed. Germans are really serious about their karaoke.

I got a late start on Saturday, as I was meeting with Michael at 1 p.m. I got to take pictures of his apartment and studio, as well as interview him more about life in Berlin.
Once the group got back from seeing the Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp, we headed to see the Karneval der Kulturen at night. There was such a diverse crowd and so many different vendors, both food- and clothes-wise. Marissa and I decided to try a club that multiple people had recommended, and we had a blast. The highlight was probably hearing 99 Luftballons mixed in with Michael Jackson, Ace of Base and Elvis Crespo. Today, we wen
t back to the festival for some lunch (I got some empanadas) and the huge parade.

1 comment:

  1. I originally thought the first line said "Since this is my last blog post..." and I got so upset that I was going to be deprived of hearing about your summer adventures! Thank goodness that is not the case!

    Miss you glittle! And I have some exciting news for you when you get back!

    ReplyDelete